River of Yesteryear
Colonial Living History Event
Location: River Bend Park
Historic Downtown Louisburg, NC
Saturday, October 26, 2019
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
If heavy rain is predicted all day for River of Yesteryear, the event will be held inside The Depot building at the intersection of South Main and Seaboard. The Depot is just a few minutes walk south of Louisburg once you cross over the bridge beside River Bend Park.
All exhibitors/demonstrations at River of Yesteryear will be open from 10 am – 4 pm, with the exception of: Jefferson / Hamilton debates (~ 30 min.) which will only be at 1 pm and 2 pm., and the History Table Talks which will be at 11 am and 12 noon (~ 20 min.).
During or after River of Yesteryear you may wish to visit a shop in historic downtown Louisburg. The following are all located on Main Street a few minutes’ walk from River Bend Park:
- Blue Collie Coffee (specialty coffees, tea, pastries, sandwiches, hot dogs & soup. 106 N. Main. Opens at 9:00 a.m.).
- Tar Banks Brewing Company (Craft brewery w/ local brews beside Blue Collie. Opens at 5:00 p.m.)
- Andrejev Galleries (Fine art gallery: Saturday, 11 am – 5 pm., 105 S. Main, 252-469-8577.)
- Louisburg Art Gallery (work of local artists: Saturday, 11am – 2pm & 3pm – 5pm, 118B N. Main).
- Harris Pharmacy (105 N. Main. Saturday 9am – 4pm. 919-496-3543)
- There are other shops along and adjacent to Main Street that you can peruse, as well!
Stroll north up Main Street by lovely historic homes as you walk by the campus of Louisburg College (first chartered in 1787) only three blocks north of River Bend Park. Just north of the College campus you will see the historic Person Place home (www.personplace.org) and other historic homes which are private homes not open to the public. Governor Thomas Walter Bickett was the 54th governor of North Carolina in the early 1900’s and this private home is one of the many listed in the Tour Historic Louisburg, North Carolina booklet.
Special note: The United States of America is eagerly anticipating the 250th birthday of our nation within the coming decade! You may wish to visit www.USA250.org